Here is the agenda and board package link for our Special Helix Water District Board Meeting:
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 5 PM
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Item to Discuss:
- The Board Conduct a Five Year Projection Workshop, Review the Scenarios and Provide Guidance to Staff for Updating the Fiscal Year 2016-17 Water Rates.
- In March 2016 the Governor reduced the conservation mandate for the Helix District from 20% to 12%.
- On April 6, 2016 water use restrictions were revised by increasing watering from 2 days to 3 days per week.
- Today another proposal from the state allowing for water agencies to consider long term drought conditions and to “self certify”, with the lowest limit of water conservation mandate allowed at 10%. These regulations to be considered later this month by the State Board and would be in effect for three years.
- Water Rate increases have been adopted by Metropolitan Water District of at least 4% to SDCWA in April for 2017.
- San Diego County Water Authority (SDCWA) rates will be proposed soon and are expected to increase.
- On October 2015, Helix approved a 5 year water rate plan, anticipating a water rate ceiling increase of 11.6% in 2017.
- The District has exceeded/met the requirements of the Governors Drought Reduction of Helix WD at 20%. In fact we are at the lowest water use ever recorded by the District at 88.4 Gallons Per Capita Per Day, over 21% reduction compared to 2013.
- So, that is the real question regarding our water rates…how much water will our customers use in 2017? Below are the scenarios provided by Helix and the corresponding water rate impact. Sell more, cost goes down, sell less, cost goes up...
- 20% Reduction - 9.9% Average Domestic Rate Increase - $15.17 Per Billing Cycle
- 19% Reduction - 9.7% Average Domestic Rate Increase - $15.06
- 17% Reduction - 8.2 % Average Domestic Rate Increase - $12.83
- 12% Reduction - 6.0% Average Domestic Rate Increase - $9.36
Better yet - come to the meeting – it is at 5pm! Please note, we have not approved the 2016-17 budget yet…
Some of the major dates for this year's budget and rate update process include:
- May 11 Present to Board - Five Year Projection Workshop
- May 26 Distribute to Board - Preliminary Budget Document
- May 31 Board Workshop - Preliminary Fiscal Year 2016-17 Budget for Board Approval
- August 11 Distribute to Board - Final Budget Document
- November 1 Water Rates Effective on Billings
www.lakejennings.org (go fishing & camping)
www.socalwatersmart.com (rebate link)
Thomas Paine Liberty Torchbearer Award Winner
Per the request of the Helix Water District Board on May 16, 2012, the following language is to be added by all Board Directors in all outgoing Director correspondence. "This correspondence, and any documents attached hereto, reflects the individual opinions and positions of the above-named Director and does not represent the opinions or positions of the District's Board of Directors or the District. Pursuant to Section 9.1-11(A) of the Helix Water District Policies and Procedures Manual, individual Directors, except as otherwise authorized by the Board, shall have no power to act for the District or the District's Board of Directors."
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!