Here is the link for the board package for our Regular Helix Water District Board Meeting:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 6 PM
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Item 5 b). (pdf page 13 & 17) Daniel H. McMillan was sworn in to fill the division one vacancy.
- As depicted in the minutes of the February 1, 2017, Director McMillan stated that during his campaign, division one customers expressed the desire for the board meeting time to be changed for greater transparency, requested the formation of a citizen's committee and expressed concern regarding rates. Director McMillan requested the following future agenda items: vote regarding continuing with Best Best and Krieger; suggested per diems for all board members interested in attending San Diego County Water Authority and Metropolitan Water District of Southern California board meetings; information regarding the history and participation in the Water Conservation Garden; would like to look at unfunded liability and capacity fees. Director McMillan requested establishment of the following committees: citizen's, engineering and operations, administration and finance, water quality and plant operations. Director McMillan also requested the board consider a cut in water rates with an effective date of April 1, 2017; that staff keep board report calculations simple using acre-feet or million gallons per day; that staff contact cell phone companies to place antennas on district tanks and look to control costs.
Wow! Director McMillan is off and running!
Item 12. (pdf page 116) Drought Action Plan
- Helix Customers still continue to conserve, over 19% less than water used in 2013, currently 93.6 gallons per capita.
- On January 19, 2017, my FIRST San Diego County Water Authority Board Meeting, the Board voted to Approve a Resolution Declaring an END to Drought Conditions in San Diego County!
- However, despite outcry from many water agencies in California the State Water Resources Control Board, on February 8, 2017 voted to extend the current drought emergency regulations an additional 270 days, wheich were scheduled to expire February 28, 2017. Continuing to promote a severe drought emergency sends a mixed message to the public and reduces both the state’s and local agencies credibility…
Item 13. (pdf page 138) Director McMillan's Proposal Regarding Incentives for Waiver of Medical Insurance Benefits
- The board provide direction to staff regarding Director McMillan's proposal that staff conduct an analysis to explore and analyze options for creating a financial incentive for board members to waive district provided medical insurance coverage when the board member already has medical coverage from another source, and return to the board at a later date with recommendations.
If it saves money to the District…why not?
Item 14. (pdf page 140) Consideration of Director McMillan's Proposed Water Rate Reductions
- The board provide direction to staff regarding Director McMillan's request that staff conduct an analysis on reducing water rates and set a date for a board meeting to discuss the options.
Sure – let’s talk about it…I definitely have some opinions and ideas about our “five year plan”…
I’m heading out to DC at the end of the month to go to an ACWA Conference (first time I have gone – I think it is a good time), to meet legislatures and the new administration. I will also be joining Padre Dam MWD to discuss and support the East County Advanced Water Purification Project, www.eastcountyawp.com. I have attached the latest letter with a list of CA infrastructure projects that went out to DC. The list includes San Vicente Reservoir energy project, Pure Water project and Salton Sea restoration. Let’s hope we can convince President Trump we have worthy infrastructure projects to invest in!
Here is the latest information on the 2017 San Diego Chapter of California Special Districts Association Video Contest. Please get out to high school students. 4 winners will receive $1000 to student(s) and $500 to school. See attached flyer, or go to the website for all the information and help me spread the word. www.SanDiegoCSDA.weebly.com
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Per the request of the Helix Water District Board on May 16, 2012, the following language is to be added by all Board Directors in all outgoing Director correspondence. "This correspondence, and any documents attached hereto, reflects the individual opinions and positions of the above-named Director and does not represent the opinions or positions of the District's Board of Directors or the District. Pursuant to Section 9.1-11(A) of the Helix Water District Policies and Procedures Manual, individual Directors, except as otherwise authorized by the Board, shall have no power to act for the District or the District's Board of Directors."
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!