Here is the link for the board package for our Regular Helix Water District Board Meeting:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, June 7, 2017, 6pm
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Item 6. Presentation by General Manager Maureen Stapleton of San Diego County Water Authority
- As you know, I have been on the Board of Directors for the San Diego County Water Authority since January (www.sdcwa.org). Currently, reviewing the 1.6 Billion Dollar two year budget right now. SDCWA is the wholesaler of water to Helix Water District, and Metropolitan Water District is the wholesaler of water to SDCWA (www.mwdh2o.com). There are Board of Directors who oversee each agency, from Helix, to SDCWA, to MWD. Politics are involved at every level.
- Unfortunately, as most of you know from the news there is a lawsuit between SDCWA and MWD on water rates. This has been going on for years through appeals etc. SDCWA has hired a public relations firm to get the word out on issues that the SDCWA MWD Delegates (four SDCWA Board Directors) http://www.mwdfacts.com/ have raised relating to MWD finances. MWD has countered many of the issues brought up by SDCWA and can be found at this site: (http://www.mwdh2o.com/WhoWeAre/Pages/facts.aspx).
- SDCWA won the first round in the lawsuit and MWD appealed to the next level, oral arguments were made on May 10, 2017, the California Court of Appeal of the 2010 and 2012 SDCWA v. MWD.s. Now 3 Judges have 90 days to come up with a decision and then apparently, whoever loses can appeal one more time to the CA Supreme Court.
Item 8. (pdf Page 85) Adopt Resolution declaring an end to Drought Level 1
Recommendation: The board adopt Resolution 17-32 declaring an end to Drought Response Level 1.
On April 7, 2017, Governor Jerry Brown declared an end to the drought emergency following record-setting precipitation and snowpack throughout California.
Helix has been at a Drought Level 1 since June 15, 2016.
While continuing permanent water efficiency measures that are listed in our policy and procedure manual permanently, the only item is being changed is that we are withdrawing the restriction that voluntary recommends that customers to irrigate before 10am and after 6pm and no more than 10 minutes.
Policy and Procedure Manual Section 4.9 permanent water use efficiency measures are in effect at all times:
- Washing down paved surfaces, including but not limited to sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, tennis courts or patios, except when it is necessary to alleviate safety or sanitation hazards, is prohibited.
- Water waste resulting from inefficient landscape irrigation, such as runoff, low head drainage or overspray, etc., is prohibited. Similarly, stop water flows onto non-targeted areas, such as adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, hardscapes, roadways or structures.
- Irrigating turf and ornamental landscape during and for at least 48 hours following measurable precipitation is prohibited.
- Irrigating ornamental turf on public street medians is prohibited.
- Use recirculated water to operate ornamental fountains.
- Wash vehicles using a bucket and a hand-held hose with positive shut-off nozzle, mobile high pressure/low volume wash system or at a commercial site that recirculates (reclaims) water on-site. Avoid washing during hot conditions when additional water is required due to evaporation.
- Serve and refill water in restaurants and other food service establishments only upon request.
- Offer guests in hotels, motels and other commercial lodging establishments the option of not laundering towels and linens daily.
Please note in the meantime CA Legislatures are working on developing legislation to implement the Governor’s Framework on Making Water Conservation a CA Way of Life - Long Term Regulations on Water Indoor Use and Outdoor Use and Use for Commercial, Industrial and Institutional…the future regulations are unknown and I hope that we are at the table during development.
Item 9. (pdf Page 89) 2017 Customer Survey Consultant Recommendation
Recommendation: The board authorize the general manager to execute a professional services agreement between Helix Water District and Probe Research, Inc. in the amount of $18,150 for the district's 2017 customer survey.
Staff evaluated each consultant's proposal based on the thoroughness of their response to the request for proposals, technical expertise, staffing resources, references and cost.
Consultant shall conduct a customer satisfaction survey. The intent of the survey is to measure overall customer satisfaction within Helix Water District's geographic service area;
measure customer satisfaction for specific services, including efficiency in delivery; ensure the customer survey results are statistically valid, have a high degree of accuracy and that survey results are communicated clearly.
I will be asking for a copy of the proposals on Monday as well as well as the rfp as I want to make sure that the survey will be meaningful. I also want to make sure that the board is involved in the question development.
FYI: Here is the future budget/water rate meeting schedules:
Distribute to Board Preliminary Budget Document
Board Approval of Preliminary Fiscal Year 2017-18 Budget
Proposed Fiscal Year 2017-18 Water Rates
Board Approval of Fiscal Year 2017-18 Water Rates (tentative)
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Per the request of the Helix Water District Board on May 16, 2012, the following language is to be added by all Board Directors in all outgoing Director correspondence. "This correspondence, and any documents attached hereto, reflects the individual opinions and positions of the above-named Director and does not represent the opinions or positions of the District's Board of Directors or the District. Pursuant to Section 9.1-11(A) of the Helix Water District Policies and Procedures Manual, individual Directors, except as otherwise authorized by the Board, shall have no power to act for the District or the District's Board of Directors."
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!