Here is the board package link for our Regular Helix Water District Board Meeting:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, March 7, 6 pm
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Interesting Items/Water Politics:
Item 8. (PDF Page 63) The Board Review and Consider a Request from the Association of California Water Agencies to Contribute to their No Drinking Water Tax Campaign and Participate in their Coalition Efforts
In 2017, Senator William Manning introduced Senate Bill 623 which proposes a tax on drinking water to fund water solutions in disadvantaged communities. The Bill proposes to raise $160 million dollars annually by taxing water ratepayers (85% of the share), fertilizer (11%) and dairies taxes (4%) and collect the money and give it back to those disadvantaged communities to help with water treatment solutions.
Last year, water agencies throughout the state opposed SB 623. While in agreement that everyone should have access to safe drinking water, the agencies advocated that a state tax on drinking water is not the appropriate solution as it works against the goal of keeping water affordable for Californians. A coalition letter initiated by Association of California Water Agencies and signed by more than 100 member agencies, including Helix Water District and the San Diego County Water Authority, proposed an alternative funding solution to a water tax.
- ACWA Association of CA Water Agencies is asking us to do more to oppose this bill and asking for $10,000 funding to develop a strategic external affairs campaign and advertising campaign focused on key legislative districts to STOP and OPPOSE the State Tax on Drinking Water in Budget Trailer Bill and SB623.
Item 9. The Board Authorize the President of the Board of Directors to Execute a Fifth Amendment to the Employment Agreement between Helix Water District and General Manager Carlos V. Lugo Following Negotiations with Mr. Lugo during Closed Session Noticed for 5:30 p.m. on March 7, 2018
- Carlos has completed his 5th year as General Manager for Helix Water District and has done a great job. Over the last couple of years he has changed the dynamics at Helix with the addition of two new board member and the retirement of 3 of the 4 Department Directors. Meeting the goals set by the Strategic Plan and the numerous new programs that the new board has required (committees, policy changes, communications), he brought Lake Jennings Campground self-sufficient, implemented new public outreach programs, reigned in the budget and significantly lowered the anticipated water rate increases, all whilst providing Safe, Reliable Drinking Water!
Helix Water District Community Events
- 03/24/18 El Cajon Arbor Day @ Kennedy Park, 8am - 11am
- 04/21/18 Helix Talks - Water Treatment Plant Tour – Sign up on line
- 04/28/18 Butterfly Festival @ The Water Conservation Garden, 9am - 3pm
- 05/19/18 Customer Appreciation Day @ The Water Conservation Garden, 10am - 2pm
- 03/17/18 New Moon Fishing
- 03/24/18 Spring Carnival
- 03/23-18 - 04/08/18 Spring Break
- 04/14/18 New Moon Fishing
- High School Photo Contest - 03/09/18 deadline
- Grades K-6 Poster Contest - 03/12/18 deadline
- CSDA VIDEO CONTEST Create a one-minute video telling the public, “What’s so special about special districts,” local government agencies formed by local voters to meet specific needs, like water or sewer service. The California Special Districts Association (CSDA) is offering prizes up to $1,000. Applications and videos due by April 1, 2018. www.sandiegocsda.weebly.com
- Lake Jennings Photo Contest - Open to all from March - May, 05/31/18 deadline
- Our eBill cupcake sweepstakes continues through March 31, 2018. When customers sign up to receive their water bill electronically between those dates they will be automatically entered in a monthly drawing for a dozen Sprinkle Cupcakes, delivered to their home or business. New enrollees only.
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Kathleen Coates Hedberg, PE, MPH
President, Helix Water District
Board Director, San Diego County Water Authority
www.lakejennings.org (go fishing & camping - teepees)
www.socalwatersmart.com (rebate link)
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!