Here is the board package link for our Helix Water District Board Meeting:
AGENDA - BUDGET WORKSHOP
SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, May 2, 4 pm
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Item 6. The Board Receive the Staff Presentation of the Draft Budget Schedules and Provide Direction Regarding the Development of the Fiscal Year 2018-19 Operating and Capital Budgets
The budget presentations are scheduled to take place on May 2 from 4 p.m. - 9 p.m. and if needed continue on to May 3 from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. as follows:
• Water Quality/System Operations Budget
• Operations Budget
• Engineering Budget
• Administrative Services Budget
• Capital Budget
Although we will not be talking about rates at this meeting, that will be on May 16, we will be hearing everything that staff wants to put in the budget and where increases and decreases are being proposed. Since we weren’t blessed with an abundance of rain like last year, we will have to plan to purchase more water from San Diego County Water Authority, the largest increase in proposed expenditures is Water Purchases, from $35,886,900 to $40,510,300. This morning I met with our GM and asked him for a copy of the Schedule anticipated estimated year end expenditures.
2016/17 $71,365,400 - Actual $68,726,598
2017/18 $72,159,900 - Estimated ?
Proposed 2018/19 $79,548,700
Water Purchases Budget
2016/17 $36,056,500 - Actual $35,014,241
2017/18 $35,886,900 - Estimated ?
Proposed 2018/19 $40,510,300
The Budget Schedule format this year looks a bit different as with converting to a new administration billing system, the budget includes retirement and PTO into each schedule, as opposed to leaving it out. This way, we know where employee costs are applied to each schedule. Concurrently, they still left a summary of Schedule 468 as a breakdown of insurance costs.
Please feel free to come to the meeting and ask questions on the Budget, we should be there till at least 8pm, with possible continuance to Thursday evening, but we hope to wrap up Wednesday evening by 9am.
CA Water Politics:
- On April 10, 2018, Metropolitan Board approved funding for full-scale, two tunnel CA Waterfix. The MWD Chair did not allow for any substitute motions or to table the item, he wanted a vote Yes or No. Without the Support of the largest agencies, San Diego County Water Authority and the City of Los Angeles, the vote still passed.
- MWD says that the project impact to the ratepayer will increase an average up to $4.80 a month while San Diego County Water Authority analysis says otherwise. This project has a long way to go, environmental and legal issues, design, construction all with the ultimate goal of fixing the Bay Delta problems and ensuring our water supply is delivered South. I sure hope that the price of this reliability doesn’t go more than $4.80 as MWD says – but only time will tell.
Helix Water District Community Events
- 05/19/18 Customer Appreciation Day @ The Water Conservation Garden, 10am - 2pm
We have created the first of our DIY videos, which shows the step-by-step process of how to replace your traditional sprinkler nozzles with high-efficiency rotating nozzles. The video is available on our www.hwd.com website under Conservation/DIY Projects. The video is being advertised in the March - April newsletter, which also highlights the current rebate of $4 per rotating nozzle (minimum purchase of 30) available through www.socalwatersmart.com .
Campaigns, Contests and Scholarships
- Lake Jennings Photo Contest - Open to all from March - May, 05/31/18 deadline
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Kathleen Coates Hedberg, PE, MPH
President, Helix Water District
Board Director, San Diego County Water Authority
www.lakejennings.org (go fishing & camping - teepees)
www.socalwatersmart.com (rebate link)
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!