Here is the board package link for our Helix Water District Board Meeting:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, June 5, 2019 - 5 p.m.
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
Good evening all, well, I have been busy with juggling water and community and family events these past few months and I am proud to announce that my daughter, Anna Hedberg, has graduated from Academy of Our Lady of Peace with honors (STEM, GPA) and will be going to Miami University, Ohio in the Fall to study Biomedical Engineering!
In case you didn’t see my tweets and Facebook posts WE killed the water tax again!!! Hope Sacramento stops trying to put water taxes on water bills – enough is enough – water agencies are NOT tax collectors! DEAD WATER TAX!
Interesting Agenda Items:
Item 10. (Page 103) The Board Adopt the Fiscal Year 2019-20 Operating Budget
- We went over the Budget thoroughly, made comments and changes etc. in April.
- In May we discussed how it may impact our water rates coming in the fall. As you know we have been having a wet year which has been great for our local reservoirs, but of course, we aren’t selling as much water to our customers and other agencies. Thus, with the increases in costs we anticipate a slight increase in rates, 1.5% due to San Diego County Water Authority and perhaps another 1.5% rate increase from Helix WD, we will know more come the end of the year.
- The proposed budget is in total amount of $90.8 Million the amount of Operating Budget is $79.2 and the PayGo Capital Budget in the Amount of $11.6 Million. The total costs, including capital expenses and water purchases, are increasing by approximately 1.2 Million or 1.4% versus the prior year’s budget.
- This last year has been a pretty good year in working on our unfunded liability and curbing other operating costs, see page 106 for more. Most of the increased in new costs are due to State legislation, new conservation regulations and new billing processes.
- Some of the major dates for this year's budget process include:
- June 5 Board Meeting Preliminary Fiscal Year 2019-20 Budget for Board Approval
- August 7 Board Meeting Approval of Water Rates
- August 28 Distribute to Board Fiscal Year 2019-20 Document
- August – Bill Insert Mailed to Customers Regarding Upcoming Water Rates
- January 1 Water rates effective on bills for water used in November and December
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Kathleen Coates Hedberg, PE, MPH
Past President, Helix Water District
Board Director, San Diego County Water Authority
www.lakejennings.org (go fishing & camping - teepees)
www.socalwatersmart.com (rebate link)
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!