Attached is the agenda and board package link for our Regular Helix Water District Board Meeting:
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 2 p.m.
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
During the month of October we decreased water use 22% compared to 2013 and since June we have an overall cumulative decrease of 27% meeting the 20% California mandate on Helix.
Interesting Agenda Items:
Agenda Item 6 – The Helix Water District Board of Directors Discuss Board Decorum (from October 7, Water Rate Hearing)
- On November 4, Ms. Nichols attended the Board Meeting and expressed concern that an item regarding Director Muses conduct at the Water Rate Hearing on October 7 was not on the agenda. She was also concerned that the Board Secretary did not forward the letter of her request she made to the Board. (see Minutes pdf page 23).
- Board President DeAna Verbeke stated that the item would be placed on the next agenda (November 18).
No Board Report Provided – should be an interesting discussion….
Agenda Item 7 – Public Hearing for the Policies and Procedures Manual Annual Review (pdf Page 69)
- Change the time for the public hearing set for December 9 from 2pm to 4pm.
Why set it for 4pm and not for 5pm so the PUBLIC can attend the PUBLIC HEARING?
Agenda Item 9 – Authorize the General Manager to Execute Two Amendments for Professional Services between Helix Water District and Raftelis Financial Consultants for the Cost of Service Study (Water Rate Study) (pdf Page 73)
- Helix Water District and Raftelis Financial Consultants Inc. in the amount of $99,773 which included $87,634 for the cost of service study and miscellaneous fees and a $12,130 for an optional water budget analysis (NOT DONE).
- Amendment 1 - $22,320 (additional meetings and scope of work)
- Amendment 2 – $14,332 (additional analysis due to Governor Brown Executive Order)
- Total $124,286 an increase in contract amount of nearly 30% (huge change order increase)!
I have a meeting with the General Manager tomorrow to go over the amendment changes, as there is much confusion in the dates in the Board Report of when the request was made by Raftelis (Amendment 1 - Report states March 6, but letter from Raftelis is February 25, with no follow up on dates of the additional meetings). It is also curious that Amendment 2 – came after the final report (October 7) was issued on October 23rd, was there forewarning of the increase in cost? Change of scope since August 20, 2014? I hope to get the facts tomorrow and clear up in public with discussion at the Board Meeting on Wednesday.
- NEW Rebates for WATER TANKS (200+gallons - $300)! www.socalwatersmart.com
- Do you know a Middle or High School Student who wants to win $1500 (split between student(s) & school) for a VIDEO CONTEST on Special Districts – go to www.SanDiegoCSDA.Weebly.com for all the information (I am the Video Contest Chair – Deadline March 2016 – spread the word).
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Blog is on my website of past meetings & comments…check it out!
Kathleen Coates Hedberg, P.E., M.P.H.
Director, Helix Water District Board
11263 Explorer Road
La Mesa, CA 91941
Thomas Paine Liberty Torchbearer Award Winner
Per the request of the Helix Water District Board on May 16, 2012, the following language is to be added by all Board Directors in all outgoing Director correspondence. "This correspondence, and any documents attached hereto, reflects the individual opinions and positions of the above-named Director and does not represent the opinions or positions of the District's Board of Directors or the District. Pursuant to Section 9.1-11(A) of the Helix Water District Policies and Procedures Manual, individual Directors, except as otherwise authorized by the Board, shall have no power to act for the District or the District's Board of Directors."
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...