I know some of you have been wondering where I have been, well, I have all over our beautiful country this summer. Texas, Massachusetts,Pennsylvania, New York and Atlanta with a side trip up to Canada to visit Beautiful Niagara Falls! Taking my kids to visit colleges, summer camps and lacrosse tournaments.
All whilst preparing for a potential campaign (up for re-election 2018) and fighting Sacramento on the Water Tax!
- No one put their name in the hat to run against me - so, yes, I have another 4 years to Represent the great constituents of Helix Water District (Division 4)!
- The SB845 Water Tax failed, never made it out of Appropriations Committee for a vote (yay!). I made quite a few calls up to Sacramento to Senators and to the Appropriations Committee asking for a NO vote.
- Unfortunately, SB998, passed, regarding shutting off water for non payment - it is on the Governors Desk and (we) Helix WD have sent a letter requesting him to VETO the bill. It would drag on the shut off process and we may end up giving more free water away when people don't pay their water bill.
- I have said, time and time again, and I am getting LOUDER our biggest challenge in the water industry is Sacramento! These bills are causing more regulations and requirements on us water systems, when we have had enough challenges getting through drought and costly water system upgrades and improvements! Enough is Enough!
A few exciting water events coming up:
- East County Water Festival - Padre Dam MWD - Saturday, September 8, 9am-1pm
- Lakeside Chamber Event at Lake Jennings - Thursday, September 20th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m
Water Turf Rebates are back!
Take care and be water wise!
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Kathleen Coates Hedberg, PE, MPH
President, Helix Water District
Board Director, San Diego County Water Authority
www.lakejennings.org (go fishing & camping - teepees)
**Please note no public funds or resources were used for the distribution of this email...
***If you want to be removed from my list…let me know! J
****If this email was forwarded to you and you want to be added to my list…let me know!
*****Transparency, don’t just say it – do it!