REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 2 p.m.
7811 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA 91942-0427
We are doing well – please keep conserving! Click Here for Drought Level 2 Restrictions
April 2013 114.3 Gallons Per Capita Per Day
April 2015 105.5 Gallons Per Capita Per Day
Goal by February 2016 - 20% Cumulative Reduction 92 Gallons Per Capita Per Day
Board Meeting Item of Interest:
Item 6 (PDF Page 50): Lake Jennings Campground – Board to Vote to Close or Keep Campground Open
- Campground built as a condition of the Lake Jennings Dam Grant received in 1960’s. Grant included cost of initial campground construction. Grant requirement for operation expired in 2008 (40 years).
- The County of San Diego operated the Campground till 2008. Helix took over operation in 2008 to reevaluate in 5 years (2013).
- In 2013, the District Campground was losing over $200,000 and this year anticipate to be short $24,000.
- In 2013, the Board created a Lake Jennings Committee to explore operations and provide suggestions for improvements.
- The Campground has been gaining momentum in attendance and public attention with new employees, ideas and outreach.
- A recent Marketing Plan (outside contractor) was put together that showed tremendous potential for the campground and does not recommend closing with more potential through Marketing to continue increase in attendance. Most people do not know Lake Jennings Campground exists.
- Lake Jennings Campground is a great service and benefit to the community. The benefits of parks and campgrounds are endless, helps families be healthier, fresh air, socialization, improves moods, less stress & exercise, a great staycation and appreciation for the environment and watershed.
- Helix’s NEW senior public affairs representative, Mike Uhrhammer, former communications manager for the Padre Dam Municipal Water District at Santee Lakes said that Helix would be wise to look at new ways for the lake to draw customers to its campground. The lake is one of the area’s top fishing destinations, but Helix should push other activities, including climbing and hiking, biking, photography and trail running. Which coordinates well with the recent efforts in the County to increase trails and exercise (Lake Jennings created a new trail map: Flume Trail).
- Lake Jennings just received approval from the state to allow kayaks in May 2015!
- On May 20th, over 50 Employees from Keller Williams Realty from El Cajon, came out to Lake Jennings Campground and helped beautify and spread the word for RED DAY (Renew, Energize & Donate) see Facebook pictures.
- Facebook likes have grown from 7 (2 years ago) to over 1285! The buzz is getting out there…we should not shut down something that is going in the right direction and getting better.
- Recent Union Tribune article from last Lake Committee Meeting Future of Jennings Campsites Up in the Air
- Visitors of all kinds come to Lake Jennings for all reasons: snowbirds, 4-H Groups, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Families, Reunions, Quiet Getaway, Great Location to other nearby places to visit (right off the 8 freeway).
- Paradise in San Diego’s East County! http://lakejennings.org/
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
Please feel free to forward.